Lititz Moravian Congregation History
Under the leadership of Lutheran pietist Count Nikolaus Ludwig von Zinzendorf, the Moravians first established a small church, called St. James, in Warwick Township on a small parcel of land donated by local farmer John George Klein. By 1754, Klein conveyed his entire land parcel of 491 acres to the expanding Moravian Congregation. Almost immediately the main street was laid out, with the village name, Lititz, taken from a Bohemian castle where Moravians had found refuge many years earlier. Only Moravians could live in Lititz, and the church owned the property on which a house could be built. Congregation members had to adhere to strict rules of living that were clearly defined by Moravian church leaders. This system lasted for just over one hundred years when the now-bustling town of Lititz was opened to all. Because Lititz was a tight-knit religious community, many early Moravian material goods remained here.
View information about the Archives and Museum, and learn how to schedule a tour, or take a self-guided tour of Church Square and the grounds, see the list to the left.